Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Fall of Troy






With Aeneas’s claim that his tale of Troy’s fall is so sorrowful that it would bring tears even to the eyes of a soldier as harsh as Ulysses, Virgil calls attention to his own act of retelling the Trojan horse episode from a new angle, that of the vanquished Trojans. In Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey, we learn the story of the Trojan War from the perspective of Ulysses and the Greeks. Virgil’s claim is that even the Greeks, the victors, would be able to feel the sorrow of the event if it were told properly from the point of view of the victims. Virgil writes a characteristically evenhanded account, so that both losers and winners earn our sympathy and respect.



I really feel sympathy when Aeneas summarized the fall of Troy to Dido on Book II of " The Aeneid of Virgil". I imagined that it's like our house then my mortal enemy will won on getting it where i'ts my father's fruit of hardships. I will also never give up my faith to get the Troy back again to the Trojans like Aeneas did in the Aeneid. I like Aeneas so depressed of what happened to Troy. I will think that I'm a stupid man, or leader cause I can't be a hero of my own city. I will be so guilty of why it happened to Troy, and in fact, I'm the leader so I should remain standing and willing to die for the sake of Troy, but I sailed away from Troy and let my  comrades die fighting the Greeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment